Thursday, December 4, 2008

Rambling...

Ok~ not a typical post from me again... Just a "need to get something out of my head before I totally flip out or think myself to death" type post.

I go to the doctors office again today. For another cortisone-type shot that is "supposed" to ease some of the pain I am getting in my lower back and hip joints... I say supposed, because the first one I had in October didn't help at all. In fact, I ended up worse than I was before the shot. At least then I was able to move~ it was only a dull constant annoyance that occasionally flared up if I put too much strain on my back. Now~ anytime I move, even to turn to look over my shoulder while I am sitting, sends bolts of hot searing pain from my lower back down through my hip and into my lower leg... And not just one shooting pain that lasts for a brief second or two~ it is constant. Hopefully this will work... I pray it does, because one can only tolerate so much pain before it drives them insane... (which happens to be a VERY short drive in my case)


So... I went to the doctors... I am not feeling much of anything at the current moment~ as the doctor numbed me really well... Actually, after he first put some local anesthetic in my rump (which is where they did the procedure)- he started the procedure and I could still feel what he was doing~ so more numbing medicine went in... He put enough in that he was worried about me being able to walk afterwards~ so I was told I HAD to leave the hospital in a wheelchair, was not allowed to drive for the next 12 hours, and I was to remain very still~ no extra movement~ he was worried I might try to walk and because I can't feel much of my leg nor how it is operating~ might inadvertently injure myself... So~ I am almost completely helpless... Which does NOT sit well with me... I do not like being waited on, nor babied... And my dad, bless his sweet heart, told me he knows how much I love being treated that way- but I was to suck it up and follow the doctors orders... Which sorta pissed me off even more...

They did a different type of injection this time. It is still a steroid-type shot, but instead of doing it in my spinal column (sticking a needle between my vertebrae and vertebral discs- and injecting the medication), they did the procedure in my sacral illiac joint... Where? Basically the spot where my spine meets my hip... It is a teeny tiny little spot they have to be able to get in... So, since the space is so small~ they do x-rays during the procedure to make sure that the placement of the needle is as accurate as can be... I think they must have done at least dozen or more x-rays during the whole procedure... Did I mention that the needle they stuck me with was six~ yes, SIX inches long???

I am hoping against all hope that this helps more than the last one did... Because I don't have many options after this... I know even the doctor was a bit concerned though~ because most people get at least two or three weeks of relief with the initial injection they gave me... And almost nobody has an increase in pain (like I did)... He was so concerned that he actually increased the amount of medicine he injected me with... By 20 units...

So (crossing fingers) I hope this works... Just had to get it out of my head... Was worried this morning... And even during the procedure~ because I really wasn't sure what to expect even though the doctor had simply explained the procedure to me when I went in for an initial consultation (unless you've had it done before, you really can't grasp it)... Okay~ I am tired now... Gonna haul my lifeless limb into bed and hope that the dear Sandman finds me quickly and keeps me drawn under for a long time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you also, no one person should have to be it that much pain. I pray that when you wake up it is completely gone. This is the season for miracles, isn't it? I hope you feel so good that you call Tammy and say, "Let's go dancing" Now, that would be a miracle in it's self. You know what I mean, I pray you are pain free! And stay that way. xoxo
Ruth Ann I have to do this using Anonymous, because I'm not signed up

Pentathalos said...

Hey, I jealous. The doctor got to see your bottom. :P