Saturday, November 15, 2008

Dear Jennifer...

For the first two and a half years of my life, I was an only child. A scientific experiment Daddy might tease... Like seeing how many times he and mom could tell me, at one year old, to look down the empty hose, then turn it on~ so it would splash me in my face... An experiment to learn what they can and can't do to a child~ to watch them learn, to watch them grow... Mom and Daddy had a lot of fun... They figured they weren't too horrible at this whole parent thing, and decided that one was not enough~ that they had enough love in their hearts to have another...

I was too young to understand the possible benefits or restrictions that this whole idea of adding another child to our family might bring forth... Not that I had any say in the matter anyways...

Then twenty-seven years ago, I was blessed with the most sensational gift possible... I was given you. True, you weren't specifically given to me, but I think I got the better end of the deal... I didn't have to change dirty diapers... I didn't have to be the "bad guy"... I didn't have the stress of having to try to figure out what was right and wrong for you... How to help you grow and learn... I got a play toy~ someone I could play with for hours, just with you or our dolls... I got a room~mate... Someone I could sneak into bed with or talk to in the middle of the night if I had a bad dream... I got a friend... Someone I could spill my guts to about something that was bothering me... I got a sister~ and all the implications that that title conveys...

A fair critic... A shrink... A companion... A sounding board... And so much more...

Over the years, so much has changed... We've both grown older, both matured... I got to watch you change from this helpless, little being to a strong, unfaltering young woman... Someone I am proud to call my sister... We've lived and laughed, and moreover loved... Granted over the years~ we haven't always travelled the same roads... Nor even travelled roads of a parallel nature, but we always take the time to visit one another's thoughts and hearts... We've learned to play on one another's strengths, and to support each other's weaknesses... We've learned to get along...

I just wanted to remind you on this day~ above all others~ how much you truly mean to me... How much you have always meant to me... To let you know I was devastated when you decided to move, but reconciled the fact that you are happy and healthy and loving life where you are... I wanted to remind you how much I love and support you~ I always have, and I always will... How proud I am of all you do and all you have become...

Happy birthday little sister...


I love you lots.... Forever and always...

~Me
(Note: Yes I know that your birthday is technically not until the 16th~ but wanted to have it up for you to read first thing in the morning... And you KNOW how much I am a morning person~ so even though I love you a ton~ I am NOT getting up at 1am to finish this blog and post it so you can read it when you are getting up at 5am... Happy birthday Jennifer!)